This year, PTNY and our partners at the NYS Canal Corporation and Herkimer County HealthNet conducted a bicycle and pedestrian assessment in Ilion, NY to help illuminate the factors that encourage, and deter, cyclists from leaving the trail and making their way into the Village of Ilion. This presentation showcases our findings from the assessment and provides elected officials, tourism professionals, and local business owners with the tools to:
– Encourage bicycle tourists to visit Ilion;
– Ensure that bicycle tourists can safely and comfortably get to and around Ilion;
– Meet the needs and desires of bicyclists with cyclist-oriented infrastructure and amenities;
– Give bicyclists positive experiences that draw them back for repeated visits and that they will share with fellow cyclists;
– Take the first steps to foster partnerships and secure resources.