This superb film traces the history of Bristol, through its development from a small Anglo-Saxon settlement to a thriving metropolis. Our production company made this film in the early 1990s as the first part of our Bristol History Series.
📺👀WATCH NEXT in the SPECTEL BRISTOL HISTORY SERIES:
🎥 BRISTOL AT WAR: https://youtu.be/YuH5R9kf54A
🎥THE DOUGLAS STORY: Douglas Motorcycle History Film https://youtu.be/jgAvqH57Exk
🎥A CENTURY OF BRISTOL CINEMA HISTORY: https://youtu.be/PIFGUlVdE1g
🎥THE MATTHEW SHIP, BRISTOL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2mjPH9sNZc&t=3506s
🎥A HISTORY OF KINGSWOOD FOREST: https://youtu.be/L3W_XwjMQlw
🔔Make sure you’ve subscribed to my channel for more like this! https://youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=PPMsTV.
📚Want to know more? Read this article which details the highlights of each documentary in the Bristol History Series and includes links so you can easily select which videos you’d like to watch! https://practicallyperfectmums.co.uk/spectel-bristol-history-video-series
This documentary takes you back in history to:-
– The civil war battles fought in and around Bristol
– The role of The Merchant Venturers on the city’s development
– Bristol’s involvement in the slave trade: The Merchant Venturers, John Pinney and Edward Colston plus MP William Wilberforce who helped turn public opinion against slavery with the campaign for abolition. (briefly shows the statue of Edward Colston which was recently removed and thrown into Bristol harbour by protesters in support of the Black Lives Matter campaign following the death of George Floyd.) #blacklivesmatter
– The early beginnings of Bristol’s transport industry; steamships, railways and aircraft.
BRISTOL HAS PLAYED A MAJOR ROLE IN SHAPING WORLD HISTORY, AIDED BY ADOPTED SONS SUCH AS:-
– John Cabot, whose pioneering voyage opened up North America for colonisation
– William Penn, who established Pennsylvania as a Quaker settlement
– John Wesley, founder of the Methodist Church
– Isambard Kingdom Brunel, one of the word’s greatest engineers; designer of the SS Great Britain and Clifton Suspension Bridge.
“AN ENTERTAINING AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYABLE FILM”
This documentary captures Bristol, past and recent. Packed with quality visuals and aerial film, it provides a historic record of the city through the ages.
PRODUCED BY SPECTEL, BRISTOL
You can also find me in the following places:-
Travel Massive Bristol Chapter Leader: https://travelmassive.com/chapters/bristol
Like what you’ve seen? If you’d like to discuss the possibility of working together, please drop me a line
email practicallyperfectmums @ gmail.com
Edited on Avid